Friday, April 18, 2014

Newcastle Writers Festival - Part 2: Opening Night with Wendy Harmer

My friend B and I braved a wet and windy night to attend the Opening night of the Newcastle Writer's Festival. The wonderful Dominic Knight (Chaser and ABC radio) was hosting, and had us all laughing even before the special guest graced the stage. And so after all the speeches and such, Wendy Harmer began her hilarious opening night talk.

It started off simply enough with her reading a piece she had just written for The Sydney Morning Herald, about writing, books, literature and Festivals. She then moved onto her own writing experience, particularly with critics who labeled her fiction for adults, chook lit. That is Chick Lit for older women! She was hilarious and I could go on, but really I am not Wendy Harmer, it might be in the writing, but it's also in the delivery of those words! Needless to say, I ended up with tears in my eyes from laughing.

The night included the amazing powerhouse that is Rosemarie Milsom taking the stage to thank her helpers and talk about putting the program together after last year's success. I may have had tears in my eyes then too, but that was just through the love in the room for such an amazing woman!



No comments: